Home - Best Job in the World… Meet George.
1. Name and job: George, Senior Instructor
2. Sum yourself up in three words: Ginger, Wannabe, Blonde
3. Sum your job up in three words: Suncream, sunburn, aftersun
4. How long have you surfed? 6 years
5. What do you love about surfing? Being in the ocean and thinking about nothing else
6. What made you decide to become a surf coach? My love for surfing and wanting to live by the coast
7. How did you get into it? I did the 13 week Ticket to ride South Africa trip, during which I passed the surf instructor course in Durban. After I came home I did my hours (you have to do 20 hours shadowing another instructor) at the Perranporth surf school and haven’t looked back since!
8. What do you love about your job? Meeting so many people and seeing the looks on everybody’s faces when they stand up and ride their first wave!
9. Are there any negatives? I spend a lot of my time with a pink face from being in the sun all day but I can’t really complain too much
10. What is the hardest thing you’ve had to deal with yet? Keeping a group of 40 school kids in between the flags!!
11. What are the most common mistakes the average surfer makes? Looking down at your feet or board rather than watching the wave and letting go to early before standing up, keep those hands down!
12. Do you have any basic tips for the average surfer? Practice your pop up over and over, even when you’re out of the water! Find something with a straight line and pop up over it again and again to practice getting your feet in the right place. You can do this on the beach by drawing a line in the sand just before you go in for a surf!
13. What are the three best things about Perranporth? The falafel van! The pasties! The beers!
14. Describe the (George) experience, what can a newbie surfer expect from a 2 hour lesson with you? A stereotypical looking surf instructor, unnecessary singing in the water, questionable dance moves, George’s stand up guarantee and expert suncream/after sun advice
15. Newquay or Perranporth? PERRANPOOORRTTHHH
This entry was posted in News, Surf School, Surfing England and tagged best job in the world, surf coach, surf instructor. Bookmark the permalink.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
You may use these HTML tags and attributes:
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Deals from £25 Per Person
From £10 Per Person
From £15 Per Person
We just wanted to say a huge thank you to Ru for a fantastic family lesson today. He gave us the best tuition and unfaltering support in the waves, especially... read more to my youngest son. Cannot recommend this experience enough. Thank you Ru.
Booked a 2 hour private with Ru and I couldn’t fault him! I have never surfed before and I felt Ru adapted the ways to help me learn best. 100%... read more recommend these guys!
Surf school in Sri Lanka is calling me :)
had a really good lesson today. I haven't surfed for a few years due to illness and lost my confidence. I had my lesson today with Rory and he was... read more brilliant, he broke down the pop up and made it very easy to remember and was so patient with me and gave me my confidence back in surfing.
I will definitely be back for an intermediate lesson once ive had more practise. thank you sooo much
We had a fantastic experience learning how to surf. Charlie was a patient and experienced teacher who always encouraged you, even if you fell off everytime like I did. We... read more had such a great time we went back and hired equipment the next day. If you are in Watergate Bay, you definitely visit these guys.
Booked a family group surf lesson for me, my husband and 22year old daughter. Giles was a fantastic instructor and had both my husband and daughter standing by the end... read more of the lesson! It was so much fun and we all had a great time. Would highly recommend and we'll definitely be back. Thank you!
Surf School Watergate Bay
Wax, Watergate Bay
+44 (0)1637 222565